Desalting procedure

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello to all,
Im working with a drug product and I want to remove the NaCl excipient from my sample to proceed to IC analysis.
Anyone can help me with any idea how can I get rid off the NaCl?

Thnx in advance
Hi

I think that we need some more information on your analyte, its solubility in organic and aqueous solvents and the other excipients.

Having said that, if your target analyte is soluble in, say for example, water or methanol or hexane or dichloromethane then 4 possible approaches that spring to mind are

1. Addition of AgNO3 to precipitate the salt - but that would leave NO3 ions
2. Dissolving the sample in an organic solvent and back washing with water
3. Passing the sample in solution through a simple disposable ion exchange cartridge
4. The obvious one that I hadn't thought of :-)

Regards

Ralph
In the past I used Sephadex G-15 (if they still make it) to desalt liquids prior to HPLC analysis.
Our unpurified product contains various organic salts, including benzamide, isobutyramide, and ammonium acetate which are utilized during synthesis to protect both the backbone and the bases.
gnikol21 wrote:
Hello to all,
Im working with a drug product and I want to remove the NaCl excipient from my sample to proceed to IC analysis.
Anyone can help me with any idea how can I get rid off the NaCl?
Thnx in advance

When we were assaying for sodium isethionate by IC, I found that chloride in the sample (chloride is extremely common in most consumer products, often used to adjust viscosity), I used silver resin clean up cartridges (removed all halides), were from Alltech so changed hands a bit in last 15 years, so similar to this http://www.envexp.com/products/12-Chrom ... cc%2C_50pk

5 posts Page 1 of 1