Wondering about new equipment versus Windows 10

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
We have been getting new equipment over the last couple years and so far even companies like Agilent and ABSciex are continuing to sell Windows 7 computers and saying that their software is not compatible with WIndows 8 or Windows 10. I know the design of the new Windows is not as friendly for what the instrument vendors use control computers for, so will we be stuck on Windows 7 for a long time yet, or have some manufacturers started to migrate instrument control software to Windows 10? Has anyone purchased any new instruments that shipped with Windows 10 computers?

If it proves too difficult to adapt instruments to Windows 10, will they look at using UNIX or Linix as control computers? I know Agilent used to ship a UNIX version of Chemstation for the mass specs.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Our agilent rep told us that the latest Masshunter acquiring and data analysis update supports windows 10

Other than that, no luck.
When a computer of ours died last year we replaced it with a Windows 10 machine. I did get some errors during the install complaining that I was using an OS that wasn't compatible. Everything seems fine on it.

This machine is running OpenLab, ChemStation edition and Cirrus GPC. Granted, I have not tried to put the software through a series of tests to see if/where it would fail, it controls the LC just fine for what I need it to do.

On a side note, I would very much like all of the software to be run on Unix/Linux based systems, much like Bruker and other NMR manufacturers have done with their software.
itspip wrote:
When a computer of ours died last year we replaced it with a Windows 10 machine. I did get some errors during the install complaining that I was using an OS that wasn't compatible. Everything seems fine on it.

This machine is running OpenLab, ChemStation edition and Cirrus GPC. Granted, I have not tried to put the software through a series of tests to see if/where it would fail, it controls the LC just fine for what I need it to do.

On a side note, I would very much like all of the software to be run on Unix/Linux based systems, much like Bruker and other NMR manufacturers have done with their software.

Honestly I would prefer Unix/Linux also for instrument control. It usually doesn't need to be rebooted as often and from what I have experienced at home I can update Linux based systems without needing to reboot each time. As long as the files used to load data to the LIMS are in a standard format, a Windows based LIMS would be able to read the data, just like a .pdf file can be read regardless of the operating system.

We had a couple gc/ms on Chemstation shut down a few months ago because someone on the network clicked on a ransom ware email, ugh. Even though Unix/Linux systems can get viruses, there are not as many floating around out there as for Windows. That would be another plus. On top of that most users would not know how to download the silly apps to muck thing up if running something other than Windows. Of course our IT guy is firmly against such things since he only knows Windows. I told him about Agilent still shipping W7 with their systems and told him I heard they would go to Unix next, he gave me the most sour look I ever saw :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Win 10 in Enterprise can be used only in tightly controlled environment.

It sends ALL your keystrokes and logging of application run behavior to Microsoft.

Firewall has to be tuned precisely to block about 50 hosts like vortex*.microsoft.com

From the program point of view win10 should run all the software you have. Only bugs in the software itself can prevent this.
5 posts Page 1 of 1